Sunday, May 20, 2012

Stephen Farris - Cosmic Sound II


Slight Sunday throwback:

Houston producer/visual artist Stephen Farris composed this amazingly retro synth-tacular visual feast entitled Cosmic Sound II, an hour-long nostalgic reverie interwoven with ambience, psychedelia, tape distortion and general 80s/90s analog wonderment, released on the only appropriate format: VHS.

Fans of Boards of Canada, Com Truise, Miami Nights 1984, TV Carnage, etc., this one's for you.

Preview the full album below, and hit the jump break to preview the first ten minutes or so of the kaleidoscopic masterpiece. Order your own VHS copy of CSII via Mr. Farris' bandcamp page.





I'm not sure if any of my readers are epileptic, but my audience is large enough now that I feel like I need to add a disclaimer: there are flashing lights and other sorts of visual chaos embedded within CSII, so please be prepared.








10 comments:

  1. That's really decent of you to put the epileptic warning up Mike, the video's definitely very interesting and I love the music that goes with this, Cosmic Sound is a seriously apt name for the album too because it definitely gives off those space like, chill, vibes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks the chill vibe helped me kick a slight case of writers block

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man this was all perfect. Nice beat.. wrong hour for me, but I enjoyed it just the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So chill. Just what I needed after my exam. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read 'retro synth' and immediately got excited. I love this. Very fun, very mellow, great sound. What I don't have is a VHS player. I guess I'll just have to listen via bandcamp.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trippy and retro. Nice listen for the most part.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you sub radar mike. I liked the beat, I got on my feet, but I didn't get mean on the tambourine, I just don't do that (anymore).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Had to put a warning on my own post this week for different reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm such a fan of Boards of Canada, and this definitely has an awesome trippy vibe. I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Speak your mind.