Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Album Radar: Slidecamp - S/T (Glass Air Records)

Slidecamp is the collaborative effort of Boreta (1/3 of The Glitch Mob) and a San Francisco based artist known as Comma, resulting in a sound that sounds absolutely nothing like either artist on their own.

Their self titled first album is pensive and nomadic, giving a sensation of gathering your thoughts while first waking up, with glitch-drum memories floating in and out.

I say nomadic not just because it's detailed in the press kit how the two recorded each song in a different location across the Pacific Northwest, but because that's really what this album sounds like - a collection of tunes, one never sounding quite like the other. Which is nice, because when it comes to ambience there are far too many artists who pump out 2-hour long drones and lose focus on flow.

Geometer by Slidecamp

Some of their tunes draw comparisons to -gasp- the legendary Boards of Canada, which is both a good thing and a bad thing. Good because you're in the same vein, bad because it's tough to top BoC in any regard. Slidecamp achieves brownie points for not trying to flat out copy BoC, which quite a few ambient artists are fairly guilty of.

This is definitely headphone music. If you listen to this while distracted or on an open system, you'll miss out on most of the subtle sounds and panning, and this album will fall flat for you.

While not completely blown away, this is still a very solid album, especially towards the end, with my favorite track being #6, "Realmsweeper".


Read full review of Slidecamp - Slidecamp on Boomkat.com ©

23 comments:

  1. Good tunes, thanks for the suggestion. Followed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm feeling geometer man. Nice find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. glitch mob are awesome. I dig this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice song and I see what you mean about needing headphones to get the full feel of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my god... i want this on my ipod. how do i get it on my ipod?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I's so relaxing, and nice...

    Like you said, it just flows. It doesn't try to impose a rythm, or to call you attention. It just flows...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Will listen to the playlist tomorrow during blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This should be worth a nice thorough listen that I can't really give right now. The one track was nice though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. First song was perfect for a skate video with a ton of slow motion scenes. I can imagine perfectly

    ReplyDelete
  10. Liked it real mellow think ill goto sleep with this playing tonight

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Glitch-drum memories." Somehow, someway, I am going to have to borrow that phrase. And whoever asks me what that means will be directed here. +follow

    ReplyDelete
  12. Realmsweeper is a really great song to me, too. I'm listening on my laptop speakers, so it sounds rather unremarkable, but once my earbuds come in the mail, I'll check this song again. Bookmarked. :3

    ReplyDelete
  13. im feeling it, and i like ur integration with the songs man

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loving this, awesome music, awesome post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Boreta was always the forgotten member of the Glitch Mob, I'm glad to see he's still doing his thing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Not bad. And I didn't play it with my heaphones on.

    ReplyDelete

Speak your mind.