Sunday, September 25, 2011

Artist Radar - Afrirampo

In continuing with our "weird weekend" tradition, today's artist comes directly from the world capital of weird, the one and only Japan.

Afrirampo is composed of two lovely ladies who call themselves Oni and Pikachu, and that is only the beginning of the awesomeness. These ladies are guttural, frantic, noisy, and somehow melodic. One thing is certain, if you listen closely enough, you can tell that the majority of what they do is extremely precise and purposeful, which takes them out of the annoying hipster "making noise for the sake of noise" category and into the energetic chaos awesomeness category.



Touring with big heads like Sonic Youth and Acid Mothers Temple, these girls have been rocking faces for the better part of this past decade.

And it may surprise you, but Oni and Pikachu are not unlike the majority of their counterparts in Japan, and are completely adorable, even at their most chaotic:



Energetic, creative, talented, attractive, chaotic.... the perfect recipe for turning my heart into absolute goo.

Yasashii's drumming is actually classified as an aphrodisiac in medical journals. Okay that's a lie, but it damn well should be!

19 comments:

  1. Each time i try to convince myself that i won't be surprised anymore for asian randomness, i fail horribly. This time was no different hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of DMC (detroit metal city) so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. glass broke, went everywhere. that 2nd video, weird ass singers

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually really liked the vocals on the first video. It reminded me of the White Stripes...if the White Stripes didn't suck. ha. I guess I just have weird taste. this confirms it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Their sound is pretty unique. Reminds me of Afrirampo just those girls. Also Oni was one of my fav video games and Pikachu is of my fav video game characters. Thank you for introducing me to this band. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm, uh, not sure what this is or why I enjoy it, but I do. Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - Sonic Youth is still around, I thought I was one of the few people left that even knew they exist. I like the second vid the best

    ReplyDelete
  8. it's probably a good thing that his drumming isn't an aphrodisiac. the implicatins would be bad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I liked that first one a lot more, the vocals on that second video were a bit of a turn off for me. Still alright, though, since everything else was nice for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I must admit, whatshisface's drumming skills have serenaded my ear drums. I await child support from him :I

    ReplyDelete
  11. its pretty funny the things they come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's creative but not something I'd listen to on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Damn, that's some crazy music you got there. I'm not sure whether I liked it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the second one. The names Oni and Pikachu are epic too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. And I thought, I can't hear (/or see) something weirdest than I alredy did... But I think, there's someone out there who like this. I would say it's just random rubmling, but, to a listener, the melody is the most important, not the words (thought there are no words). I'm not sure how I feel bout it.

    ReplyDelete

Speak your mind.