Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Artist Radar - Kimbra

It's kiwi time! And I'm not talking about the fruit. Today's artist feature is the lovely Kimbra, a smoky, soulful singer from Hamilton, New Zealand. Known for a variety of things aside from singing, such as having amazing lips and erratic dancing, and generally being amazing.



There's something special about performers like her, who lay it all out there and just bring their soul to the table, even if it means a couple strange movements during the act. It's endearing, in a way, but I'm usually too wrapped up in her voice to actually form a complete sentence, let alone critique her mannerisms.

Noting her rise to popularity wouldn't be complete without mentioning her appearance in the Gotye song "Somebody That I Used To Know", where she makes being naked remain classy (sorta NSFW, but I doubt you're reading this at work anyway... but if you are... awesome!).



After you're done listening to that song for the 50th time, let's continue...

It's odd that I chose today to feature her, because it just so happens that her debut album, Vows, came out yesterday, August 29th. You can buy it here now if you're super excited and want the hard copy with the special DVD in your hands as soon as possible, or you can preorder it on iTunes and snag it three days from now digitally.

Click the pic if you're interested in having her entire face cover your screen.

32 comments:

  1. The first image that popped in my mind was 10,000 Maniacs, but their voices are nothing alike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. I really like her. Beautiful girls with crazy talent are my weakness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah! I'm a huge fan of Gotye!!!! And I love this song...and the video. So creative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty girl and pretty song :)
    awesome mix. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really loved her voice in the first song. It's true she has some weird movements but still, great song. The second one wasn't as good as ther first, buuut the video was interesting. And regarding the photo, she has BEAUTIFUL eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. she's pretty for sure, but I don't know that I would use smokey as the description. She doesn't sound like a smoker to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being hot is always a nice compliment to sounding cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love that video :) I think it's an old Elliot Smith song?

    ReplyDelete
  9. always skip the first day, its just filler and meet and greets

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been noticing a lot of interesting talent from new zealand lately.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for posting this stuff! I think both songs are great and I did want her intire face covering my screen!

    ReplyDelete
  12. she looks a little like the late amy winehouse

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, really liking this. I'll have to pick up a copy, thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I really like her, love that voice. She's lovely, I should check out more of her later on. I wish I could now, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I dunno me too have started to listen to musicians from 53nd state NZ, and 52nd state Oz and 51st state Canadians. Not bad

    ReplyDelete
  16. Never heard of her. But I love her voice! She's amazing. Artists like this should be more widely known.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's easier when you are a smoking hot shiksa like that. She is Kosher enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's quite the voice she has, makes up for the strange poses and gestures.

    ReplyDelete
  19. She has a great voice, but she's a bit of a strange dancer indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yay representing the 'Tron. (Hamilton = Hamiltron).

    I have to admit that I feel a little bit of Kiwi pride whenever I see another Kiwi recognised internationally. Thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  21. i wish i could exist in an abstract painting dreamscape with her for 4 minutes!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like the first video, you can definitely tell she puts a lot into her singing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. she's gorgeous and has quite a voice. I dug this one a lot...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. She is pretty good man! Definitely like!

    ReplyDelete

Speak your mind.