Monday, August 8, 2011

Artist Radar - Dark Sky

Dark Sky, the trio out of London, England (not the hard rock band from Italy or the other 20 metal myspace pages for the name "Dark Sky") specializes in what the UK and I personally swoon over - bass. Dance tracks that pull you in and out of the club every time the subwoofer takes a breath and being sonically assaulted by sub bass are the epitome of a night out for me...

but I'm a weirdo like that.

Speeding Blue - (50WEAPONS014) by Dark Sky

Anyway, their most recent effort is a short EP named Radius, out on Black Acre and Modeselektor's ever-exciting label 50 Weapons. Starting off on side 1 with the above track, the album takes on a UK Funky type role early on, only to sink into the dark and haunting dredges of "Be Myself" on the flip, making sure to shake you to the core with the low hertz regardless of the message they want to convey.

Be Myself (50WEAPONS014) by Dark Sky
Notice the ample use of 808 cowbell... I was bound to find this track, eventually. Yum.


Although the majority of their tunes lean towards a bass-heavy UK Funky style, they obviously have their eye on hip hop, as in a recent interview 66% of the trio mention their dream collabs to be with The Neptunes and Busta Rhymes, which I personally would love to see.

Previous efforts have been slightly stronger in my opinion, such as this beast of a tune that they released on the legendary label Ninja Tune, called "Leave"...

(it also comes with a pretty amazing video, so you might want to tab out and watch it)




And this wonky little banger out on Blunted Robots:




So if you're a dance-conscious late night jammer, these should be right up your alley, and bring a taste of the UK club scene right to your eardrums. If you're a DJ, dropping the second drop of "High Rise" should be enough to get even the most stubborn wall flies at least tapping their jeans in sync.

Enjoy! As always thanks for all the support, I love you guys.

18 comments:

  1. pretty awesome, i made up some new dance moves to this

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was like "i could use some new musci right now" and then i went to your blog to see, you've got something new for me :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. The music was good! I love bass in songs! and the first youtube video uses scenes from the movie Fantastic Planet! I love Fantastic Planet! If you never saw it you should watch it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I thought it was one of the metal bands. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg the rhyme was not supposed to happen. That was an accident. spare my life, please ^^;

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's an awesome bass line, thanks for introducing Dark Sky to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Be Myself obviously needs more cowbell...

    These tracks are alright, not to my particular taste but I still don't outright hate them. Good stuff :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol. there WOULD be a million metal bands on myspace called Dark Sky. haha. I love my oh so predictable genre of choice so much =p

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are right, we are running out of metal band names. I'd cal my band Angle Grinder.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The song from the video, was very very good. The first one was great too, although it sounded like a videogame track. I didnt like the 2nd one that much though :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. never heard for them...but not bad!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love a bit of bass, I think I've pulled something though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You gods that made me man, and sway in love.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved the 2nd song, the 1st one had some 8-bit in it! Very nice find.

    ReplyDelete

Speak your mind.