Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Artist Radar - BrightBlack Morning Light

Alright, so I should be writing this four years ago, but if I did then I wouldn't have all you beautiful people to share with, now would I?

Today's artist is mellow, to say the least. So if you're wanting some hyped up dance tunes, why don't you sit down in that recliner over there and put on your fuzzy slippers, maybe pour some scotch or find some sort of herbal relaxation. Or maybe a handful of pills, I don't know, just chill out.

Are you comfortable? Good. Let's begin:



There, now aren't you glad you were all relaxed when you played that? BrightBlack's hypnotic, narcotic melodies are enough to calm the most angriest of beasts.

The band is a two good friends who hail from Alabama and subsequently called both 'bama and California their home(s). Shouldn't really be a surprise then that they combined slide guitars and good vibes, then, but maybe that's the stereotypes talking. Or maybe the handful of pills.

It's easy to label them and throw them in a neat little box of psychedelia. But really, the genre they're placed in, according to wikipedia... is "freak folk". Umm.... okay. Well no comment, but seriously who comes up with these names...



In case you're wondering, these two are the real deal. They have apparently lived in cars, tents, chicken coops, and solar paneled huts in New Mexico. So I suppose their hippie cred is through the roof. It's a shame that they shy away from society and fame, because, well, they're amazing.

And I'm sure that they'd be amazing to share natural/educational/delirious experiences with, as this quote suggests:

"What if all we need is already here, living around us, free? Why don't the animals talk to us? [Do] they think we aren't trustworthy?" -Shineywater

Hmm.


42 comments:

  1. Dude, I love it! Thanks for turning me on to some new artists with original vibes -- something sorely lacking these days. +follow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet vibes, sweet name. Didn't quite have a full handful of pills but I think they still did the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog is dope. Good to meet you, Mike!

    ReplyDelete
  4. herbal relaxation? you read my mind. (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the songs, they are gonna come in handy today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Before I read they were from Alabama, you could definitely hear the southern influence.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was extremely relaxing...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Knell bringin the funk relaxation this time. Enjoyed as always man.

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice. this is a little bit more my style.

    ReplyDelete
  10. first track... nice stuff after a hard-working day!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm all for the first track. Really relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. the first one is nice. very well. I love down tempo chillout music :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Freak folk. Hahaha. So crazy. Definitely good tunes. ^^ Seriously, man.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah, I've heard of them before. Love it

    ReplyDelete
  15. really dig this stuff. Esp after a long afternoon stuck in traffic!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That was reaaaally relaxing. Last one reminded me a bit of Damo Suzuki. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You'll probably disagree but they remind me of all the best parts of QOTSA, totally get that California desert vibe..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Liked it. Relaxed me. Will have to keep their stuff handy for when my kids are stressing me out...lmao Thanx

    ReplyDelete
  19. The first song has a I-need-to-smoke-weed-so-badly-right-now mood to it. I love it

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the sound quality of these recordings.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This blog is relevant to my interests.

    ReplyDelete
  22. the beginning of the second one reminds me of teh game "animal crossing" ^^

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great tracks! Definitely relaxing.

    ReplyDelete

Speak your mind.